Red Hat
No, not that red hat with the white trim that some jolly old saint wears. :D I meant this red hat. Actually, I just joined the society as I write this; I wanted to join on my birthday but I was too busy. ;)Speaking of my birthday, since it's a milestone, I went on an adventure to Spain. My first time in Europe, not counting short stays at airports while connecting flights. See 1900+ pictures here and read the blog here. While there, I met an MBA classmate and his wife, and three people whom I only knew in Second Life prior to my trip. I also talked briefly about the connection between Second Life and this trip in my SL blog.
It was a wonderful birthday trip. :)
Work
The contract work that I started a year ago is actually changing. I've stopped doing technical writing as Content Developer and started doing project management, still in the same group. My title hasn't changed yet, but I expect it would soon. This new role is more in line with my qualifications and what I really want to head into.I'm also getting back to updating my technical skills. I took a course online to learn Scala, but I haven't really used it. I'll probably be digging into the Google APIs with my new role as I try to automate processes as much as I can.
Virtual Life
My Second Life businesses have been on automatic pilot for the last 3 years and I need to update my skills in that area as well (relearning Blender and learning to create rigged mesh clothing and avatar components). I have plans for new products and updates to existing products but it's now a matter of finding time to do them. One step at a time.People have been asking if I'd write a second book. I don't know yet. I want to update the first one and clean it up, then get it translated to French and Spanish at least. I've been wanting to do that since I first published it! We'll see. :)
I still get invited to speak however. I did one for a virtual convention organized by Utherverse, which is another virtual world, but with a different proprietary technology. It was such a great success that they invited me again to speak for another of their convention in February 2015!
My 365 virtual photography project is almost two years old now and still only 2/3 done! LOL I'm still plodding along; I'm gonna finish it, dammit. :D
On a personal note, I've not been doing the Dim Sum lifestyle that I talk about in the book. I've been with the same virtual lover for almost 3 years now. We talk about breaking up whenever we argue (which is often), but it still hasn't happened yet. :D
Family
Mom is doing well. She has had a few trips to the hospital throughout the year, but nothing more serious than what's "normal" for her.My dad is doing extremely great for his age, but his wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. She just started doing chemo, and she's responding very well to the therapy.
My sister Dee and her family are selling their home. If you're in the Northern SF Bay Area and in the market for a home, let me know.
My sister Sam and her family moved back to Oregon. It doesn't sound like we'll be able to see them this holiday but she says they'll try to visit during spring break.
All in all, it was a quieter year than the past few years. I have several personal projects in mind for 2015, but we'll see.

No comments:
Post a Comment